Friday, November 11, 2011

Veteran's Day Appreciations




Today I have been thinking a lot about all the men and women who have so bravely served our country for my freedom and the magnitude of what that means I think I will never fully comprehend. These people are the most selfless people who deserve WAY more than they receive. A few years ago when I was still in school I had the honor to intern at the Veterans Affairs clinic for a whole year and I got to work with Vietnam and World War II veterans. I met a lot of wonderful vets there and got to hear their amazing stories. Many veterans who fought on the battlefield and were exposed to some intense things have had a difficult time integrating back into society. Especially those who have just came home. Some reported feeling like life was at such a slower pace and that people didn't seem as friendly in comparison to the really close bonds that they shared with their fellow soldiers.
While away they faced responsibilities of having to guard and protect one another and at times literally keeping one eye open all night and seeing their closest friends die. Well no wonder some have had a difficulties sleeping at night, getting jobs, just to name a few. These are just a few of the experiences that I faced while there and not every veteran has experienced this and others may have different experiences. The above pic is when Ben and I went to Hawaii and we had the chance to visit Pearl Harbor. One of the survivors was there and I got to hug him and get a pic with him. That was the most memorable part of the trip for me and I will never forget it. I would definitely add this to your bucket list if you have not already done so.
Today on my way to work I saw a breathtaking amount of community patriotism in honor of this special day. In the town I work in of Paradise, Ca there were hundreds of flags lining the sidewalks as I drove through the small forest like town. It gave me chills and even made me cry a little. It was almost impossible to describe. Then I got to work and apparently did not get the memo that it was closed (Ha, of course I would do that). Anyway, if you see a veteran today or any day be sure to thank them and shake their hand or give them a hug.

Chow AND God Bless our Country! Tiff

No comments:

Post a Comment